Send Print
Old Hospice (Hotel de la Reconquista)
Oviedo (Central Asturias)
Contact Address
C/ Gil de Jazz, 16. Oviedo
Website
One of the settings for the Prince of Asturias Awards.

This is a large hospice founded by the Regent of the Court of Asturias, Isidoro Gil de Jaz. Antonio Pedro Menéndez de Ambás was commissioned to carry out the project in the mid-18th century and work began in 1752.

On the ground floor, there is a succession of two courtyards, an evolution of the Renaissance model of hospice. These end in a chapel that is very high, necessarily so to allow various floors to connect with it via broad galleries. It was designed by Ventura Rodríguez and built by Manuel Reguera González. It is circular inside and octagonal outside. The coffered dome adorned with rosettes rises above an attic containing a main structure with lunettes.

The main façade is divided into two floors. The ground floor has seven semi-circular arches and the upper floor, overhanging balconies with railings. Worthy of note is the central bay with fluted columns and split pediment which houses the central balcony surmounted by a large escutcheon that interrupts the open stonework balustrade crowning the façade.

It was restored in 1942 by the Provincial Government, with the sandstone coat of arms being replaced in 1958 by an exact copy in limestone. In 1972 it was fitted out as a 5-star hotel.

icono
Old Hospice (Hotel de la Reconquista)
GPS:43.363138,-5.854019