Send Print
Oviedo City Walls
Oviedo (Central Asturias)
Contact Address
Oviedo
Website
Remarks

Remains in Paraíso Street, Jovellanos Street and Plaza del Riego

A fortification that protected the city in the 13th century.

By the early 13th century, the city had some kind of enclosure, the layout of which was ordered by Alfonso IX. Alfonso X promoted the completion of the works, which began around 1261 and must have been completed in the 14th century.

The walls had a perimeter of 1,400 m enclosing an area of ​​11 hectares (coinciding with the area cited by F. Reiter in 1777).

They followed a quasi-circular layout to adapt to the contour of the hill on which the city stood. The Socastiello, Santiago, Noceda, Ferrería and Cimadevilla Gates opened out from the fortress or castle which formed part of this layout. Starting from the latter gate, the walls ran parallel to the present-day Mon Street and from there along Postigo Alto and Paraíso Street, which conserves Noceda Gate (beginning of the present-day San Vicente Street). They then continued beside San Pelayo Monastery (La Cerca Street, now Jovellanos Street), where Gascona Gate (Águila Street) and further on the Santiago Gate (at the junction of the present-day Jovellanos and Argüelles Streets) were found.

The castle, located in the place where the Telefónica building stands today, introduced a 90-degree angle in the walls, which then ran along the present-day Mendizábal Street, in which the Socastiello Gate opened. From there, the walls continued along Ramón y Cajal Street and Peso Street until closing the perimeter at Cimadevilla Gate.

icono
Oviedo City Walls
GPS:43.362332,-5.841318