Send Print
Monumental Area of Oviedo
Oviedo (Central Asturias)
Zona Monumental de Oviedo
In the year 761, a monk named Maximus, accompanied by his servants, settled on a hill which they cleared of weeds and called Oveto.

Soon after, another monk, Fromistano, who was the previous monk's uncle, joined them and they founded a church in honour of San Vicente. This ecclesiastical foundation constitutes the original nucleus of the city of Oviedo. In the year 812, the Asturian King Alfonso II The Chaste moved his court from Pravia to Oviedo, where it remained until the death of Alfonso III The Great. In the Middle Ages, Oviedo was surrounded by a completely circular wall with four gateways, built during the reign of Alfonso X The Wise, little of which remains. In 1521, a fire ravaged three-quarters of this walled area, the cathedral being miraculously saved from the conflagration. Subsequently, the construction of the University, the Fontán Marketplace and the Arms Factory significantly expanded the size of the city. This process continued with the urban expansion of Uría Street and the influx of newcomers between 1950 and 1970.

In the early 1980s, everything pointed to Oviedo, like many other cities, eventually taking on the appearance of a pseudo-metropolis. However, conservationist zeal made it possible to recover the old quarter, which has since become one of the city's most dynamic districts. The growing demand for refurbished old houses, both in the old quarter and the urban expansion area and the restoration of façades ended decades of neglect in the city. In recent years, municipal efforts to tidy up, clean and furnish the streets, along with the creation of pedestrian precincts in much of the city centre, have managed to enhance the city and reduce the levels of road traffic and environmental pollution, leading to the proud residents of the city occupying its streets once more.

icono
Monumental Area of Oviedo
GPS:43.365664, -5.855406