The chapel of the Guía de Llanes is located on a hilltop with beautiful views of the Cantabrian Sea and the town of Llanes. A place of veneration and worship for the people of Llanes, the festivities held in honour of the Virgin, on 8th September, bring together thousands of people, who, dressed as villagers and porruanos, honour her with their traditional dances.
The hermitage has its origins in a tile and wood construction in 1516. Until a few years ago it had a private character, being preserved and maintained by several families in the area, but it was also and still is today very venerated and cared for by Asturian emigrants.
From the year of its construction and during the following centuries, the chapel underwent continuous alterations until it reached its current appearance. Its two crenellated towers give it the appearance of a small castle.
La Guía is one of the three sides of Llanes, together with San Roque and La Magdalena.