The birth of Oviedo/Uviéu has all the legendary and epic ingredients of great deeds and cities. Since ancient times it has preserved its monastic and royal stamp, and continues to be the original reference point of the Primitive Way of St. James, whose founder was also an Asturian king, D. Alfonso II.
The Asturian capital is hospitable and dynamic, where you can experience something different every day, and has an intense cultural and commercial life.
The Fontán market, the Pre-Romanesque fountain of La Foncalada, a Cathedral with a Gothic and a Romanesque tower, a historic quarter that has been a source of inspiration for writers such as Clarín and Pérez de Ayala, contemporary civil architecture and an intense agenda that includes, among others, the opera season and the Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony.
This is Oviedo/Uviéu, monastic, royal and Jacobean, a beacon of Christianity in the late Middle Ages, which still treasures among its relics a universal reference: the Holy Shroud.
- Area: 26 km2
- Altitude: 232 m.
- Inhabitants: 208.828
- Km. to Avilés: 29
- Km. to Gijón/Xixón: 28
- By Road: N-634 and A-63 from the West, N-632 and A-8 from the East and N-630 and A-66 from the South. By Plane: Asturias Airport (OVD) - (www.aena.es) - Bus connection service from the airport to the city bus station.
- By Rail: Oviedo/Uviéu Train Station - C/ Uría, s/n. (www.renfe.es)
- By bus : Oviedo/Uviéu Bus Station - C/ Empresario Pepe Cosmen, s/n. (www.estaciondeautobusesdeoviedo.com)
- A stroll through the Old Quarter, where the Cathedral, the Holy Chamber, some churches and convents such as the Pelayas, and museums such as the Fine Arts and Archaeological Museums stand out.
- A tapa on the Cider Boulevard. This is the name given to Gascona Street, lined with restaurants and cider bars, where you can taste cider and typical gastronomy.
- Shopping in Uría. This street is one of the city's main shopping streets and sums up how the city has evolved throughout the 20th century. Surrounding it is an emblematic green space for the city: Campo San Francisco.
- The city of Art and of the Princess of Asturias Awards. Pre-Romanesque art - declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO -, contemporary art, sculptures, etc., and an intense cultural life that culminates in the Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony.
Consult with the Tourist Information Centre of the Principality of Asturias.
Municipal Tourist Office - El Escorialín
C/ Marqués de Santa Cruz. 33007
985 227 586
Of the primitive constructions that stood on the site where the cathedral stands today, the Cámara Santa (Holy Chamber) remains. Oviedo/UviéuHoly Chamber 0.25 Kms
Museum that offers a reading of history in the light of the most recent archaeological discoveries made in the region.Archaeological Museum of Asturias 0.36 Kms Oviedo
The church of San Julián de los Prados is the oldest and largest of the pre-Romanesque buildings that still remain. Oviedo/UviéuChurch of San Julián de los Prados 1.01 Kms
The building of the Old Prison of Oviedo is located in Ciudad Naranco. It can be identified by its dome, the top of the centre of the "star" formed by its galleries.Historical Archives of Asturias 1.24 Kms Oviedo
The Palace of Ramiro I in the Naranco is a singular construction without a clear purpose. Oviedo/UviéuSanta María del Naranco 2.68 Kms
The centre is a space dedicated to explaining the monuments that make up the Asturian Pre-Romanesque period in a scientific and rigorous manner.Reception and Interpretation Centre of Asturian Pre-Romanesque Art 2.73 Kms Oviedo
The building we can see today corresponds to approximately one third of the original construction. Oviedo/UviéuChurch of San Miguel de Lillo 2.92 Kms
Pre-Romanesque church probably built in the time of King Alfonso II. Bendones - OviedoChurch of Santa María de Bendones 4.11 Kms
This reserve deserves special attention as an underground ecosystem and, above all, for its prehistoric site from the Solutrean and Magdalenian periods.Cueva de las Caldas Partial Nature Reserve 5.72 Kms Oviedo
The magical world of the Asturian hórreo: its origins, its evolution, its types, the secret of its longevity and functionality...Hórreo Interpretation Centre 5.88 Kms Ribera de Arriba
The history of the Asturian Formula 1 driver, Fernando Alonso, brought together in a museum with more than 270 pieces, and a spectacular karting circuit.Museos y Espacios Culturales :: Museo y Circuito Fernando Alonso 7.63 Kms Llanera
Reservoir located between the municipalities of Ribera de Arriba and Morcín.Alfilorios Reservoir 9.2 Kms Morcín,Ribera de Arriba