Measures to Improve Accessibility
A series of measures have been adopted in the www.turismoasturias.es website aiming to improve accessibility. The advantages this implies the following, among others:
- Enabling access to persons independently from their physical sate or their environment.
- Allowing access with different user agents.
- Including clear and properly structured contents.
- Improving navigation and user experience.
The following are among the measures adopted:
- A logical presentation order for the on-screen elements and the code contents.
- The use of W3C standards:
- XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2 grammar
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG level AA)
Design and Layout
The design and layout of the www.turismoasturias.es portal was developed taking into account the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 1.0) directly affecting this part of the development:
- Separation of content and presentation using style sheets.
- The use of relative units (allowing for text resizing and fluid designs).
- Colour contrast control.
All the documents in the site maintain a similar structure including the same elements to make navigation easier.
There is a tool section in the header of each page including links to:
- Home page.
- Accessibility Policy.
- Contact Section.
- Different language versions of the portal.
In order to enable direct access of users to all the content of the portal, a search system present in all the site documents is provided.
All site documents have the Breadcrumb mechanism. Its purpose is to position users within the context of the portal, indicating a possible trail from the front page to the current document.
Links have been created to skip the navigation sections and directly access the document content in order to enable those users using assistive technologies (voice browsers, screen readers, etc.) to access the content.