A commercial city, of medieval origin and with a great seafaring tradition, it has a historic quarter dotted with palaces, gardens, fountains, churches, arcaded houses, etc. that give it a unique atmosphere. The size and proportions of its estuary, and its passage through the very heart of the city, make Avilés the only city in Asturias with a powerful river flow at the foot of its historic quarter, one of the best preserved in the whole of northern Spain.
Land of discoverers such as Pedro Menéndez de Avilés - the conqueror of Florida in the American continent -, it is a city open to innovation and with an artistic vocation. Moreover, contemporary Avilés also experienced a great industrial revolution thanks to the iron and steel industry, which has marked a post-industrial 'physiognomy' that inspired the architectural genius Oscar Niemeyer to create the last of his great international works, a cultural centre that bears his name and is a symbol of the urban and sociological renovation that the city is undergoing.
This is Avilés: commercial, maritime and medieval.
- Area: 25 km2
- Altitude: 8 m.
- Inhabitants: 83.617
- Km. to Gijón: 25
- Km. to Oviedo: 29
- By road: N-634 and A-8 from the east and west. A-66 from the South.
- By Plane: Asturias Airport (OVD) - (www.aena.es) Bus connection service from the airport to the city bus station.
- By Rail: Avilés Train Station (www.renfe.es)
- By bus : Avilés Bus Station (www.alsa.es) (www.consorcioasturias.com)
- The Old Town of Avilés is one of the best preserved in Asturias and is a sample of civil and religious architecture from the Middle Ages to the present day.
- The Avilés estuary is one of the most beautiful natural estuaries in Asturias. Environmentally recovered, it has a promenade where the marina and its activities, the Niemeyer Centre, etc. can be seen.
- The Niemeyer Centre, the last and most important work of the Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer in Europe, is a facility that adds an innovative touch and a new "skyline" to the city.
- Shopping in Avilés. It is an ideal place, especially in the old part of the city - Calle de la Cámara and the surrounding area - where the old food market is located, which has recently undergone a successful "restyling".
Ask for guided tours of the city at the Avilés Tourist Office - email@example.com
The Port of Avilés is a place that combines history and modernity. An estuary where industrial landscape and natural spaces go hand in hand.Portus Space and CI Avilés Submarine Guns 4.14 Kms Avilés
From where it is located we can admire Salinas and its beach.Pinos Altos recreational area (Las Piñeras) 4.53 Kms Castrillón
The Maritime Museum of Asturias groups its contents into four sections - marine biology, coastal carpentry, traditional fishing and the history of navigation - and is located in the vicinity of the historic centre of the capital of Gozo.Asturias Maritime Museum 12.25 Kms Gozón