Send Print
Mohías Hill Fort
Coaña (Western Asturias)
Contact Address
Mohías, Coaña
Website
Remarks

Take the N-634 from Navia and then the turning to Jarrio and Ortiguera until you see the sign for "Castro de Mohías" on the right.

The hill fort stands out for the advanced nature of its infrastructure.

Mohías Hill Fort is situated approximately 1 kilometre from the coast. It occupies a hill around 70 metres high, located on the right bank of Ortiguera Stream. Mohías Hill Fort was discovered in 1939, but was not excavated until 1968-1970.

The defenses present different characteristics depending on the slopes. While no defensive structure can be seen on the northern and western slopes, the site is protected in the east and south by at least three trenches. A certain degree of urban order can be appreciated in the inhabited area.

The dwellings are mainly square in shape with rounded corners and are arranged along streets laid out more or less at right angles. Some of the dwellings have access stairs, leading to the supposition that they had different floors. The foundations comprise a trench filled with diverse drainage materials. They are constructed with rows of slate and clay coverings.

A characteristic feature of Mohías Hill Fort is the large number of these huts in which clearly demarcated hearths and hollowed-out stones were found. These elements have been sealed to ensure their preservation, so they currently cannot be viewed.

Another factor which distinguishes Mohías with respect to other hill forts discovered up until now in western Asturias is the diversity of infrastructure works that can be seen in its streets: gutters, paved sections and buttresses attached to the corners of the houses to protect them from passing carts.

The hill fort was inhabited during the second half of the 1st century and first half of the 2nd century AD. In may have been re-occupied in later centuries.

See location and how to get there
icono
Mohías Hill Fort
GPS:43.549508,-6.747044