Built in the 13th century, today the Convent of San Francisco only conserves Merás Chapel, built in 1613 by Pedro Merás, now attached to the nave.
It stands out for its age and its position at the top of the town. Its arched doorway is influenced by Byzantine art, with a serrated moulding, chequered cornice and three columns on one side. This influence can also be seen in the three pointed arches, supported by groups of columns.
It corresponds fully to the mendicant typology: a single nave, large and airy, which most likely was covered by a wooden framework. This choice cannot be considered the result of chance, but designed to achieve a building in which the architectural barriers do not hinder either acoustics or visibility. It should be recalled that one of the main activities of the minor orders was preaching.
From these early times, the Franciscan convent in Tineo/Tinéu had a cloister and chapter house, evidence of which has only come down to us via the detailed descriptions by Ciriaco Miguel Vigil.
The convent houses the Tineo Museum of Sacred Art, which includes a large collection of pieces from the borough.